Town of Clover
Ordinance #20170913-2, Ordinance Establishing Seasonal Weight Limits
The Town Board of the Town of Clover, Bayfield County, Wisconsin and the Officer in charge of maintenance of Town highways have the specific authority under §349.15 and §349.16, Wis. Stats., to adopt this Ordinance.
The Officer in Charge of maintenance of the Town highways has the specific authority to determine the specific timing of seasonal weight limits.
The Chairperson in concert with the Officer in Charge of seasonal weight limits has the authority to grant exceptions to seasonal weight limits.
This Ordinance, adopted by a majority of the Town Board on a roll call vote with a quorum present and voting and proper notice having been given, establishes seasonal weight limits as follows:
A. The following seasonal weight limits shall be effective for the period stated below on the following Town of Clover Town Highways and Roads: ALL have four (4) Ton Weight Limits in effect from the beginning of the County Highway declaration of Spring weight limits up to 4 weeks following removal by the County of Spring weight limits
- Bark Bay Road from State Highway 13 to Bark Point Road
- Bark Bay Slough Road from Bark Bay Road to the end
- Bark Point Road from State Highway 13 to the end (not including the private road portion)
- Bark Point Landing Road from Bark Point Road to the end
- Bark River Road from Lenawee Road to State Highway 13
- Beeksma Road from Touve Road to the end
- Bell/Clover Line Road from State Highway 13 to the end
- Boundary Avenue from State Highway 13 to the end
- Bratley Road from Seven Mile Road to the end
- Buckley Road from State Highway 13 to the end
- Busche Town Road from Lenawee Road to Clover Cemetery Road
- Campbell road from Bark River road to Seven Mile Road
- Clover Cemetery Road from State Highway 13 to Bark River road
- Clover Gravel Pit Road from Lenawee Road to the end
- Cranberry River road from Lenawee Road to Touve Road
- Deer Yard Road from Touve Road to the end
- Deswert Road from Bark River Road to the end
- Didier Road from Lenawee Road to the end
- Dingman Road from Bark Point Road to Hesse Road
- Forest Road 236 from the East Washburn Town Line to the West Washburn Town Line
- Frontage Road from Old School road to Park Avenue
- Gray Road from Hesse Road to the end
- Half Mile Road from Lenawee Road to the end
- Hesse Road from State Highway 13 to Bark Point Road
- Hultman Road from Lenawee Road to the end
- Kessler Road from Bark River Road to the end
- Kleinhans Road from Lenawee road to the end
- Lake Avenue from Bark Point Road to the end
- Lefty’s Road from Bark Bay Road to Bark Point Road
- Lefty’s Road from Bark Bay Road west to the end
- Looseasagoose Road from Lenawee Road to the end
- Makiewicz Road from Bark River Road to the end
- Makowski Road from Lenawee Road to the end
- Matthews Road from Lenawee Road to the end
- McInerney Road from Matthews Road to the end
- Nicoletti Road from State Highway 13 to Hesse Road
- Old Puig Road from Lenawee Road to the end
- Old Road from Bushe Town Road to the end
- Old School road from State Highway 13 to Bark Point Road
- Old State Highway 13 from Lenawee Road to the Port Wing Town Line
- Park Avenue from State Highway 13 to Bark Point Road
- Seven Mile Road from Lenawee Road to Bratley Road
- Shortcut Road from Clover Cemetery Road to Bark River Road
- Spruce Tree Drive from State Highway 13 to Boundary Avenue
- Swedlund Road from Bark River road to the end
- Touve Road from Lenawee Road to the Port Wing Town Line
- Wee Avenue from Hultman Street to the Historic Gymnasium Parking Lot
- Webbers Road from Campbell Road to the end
- Willow Street from Bark Point Road to Lake Avenue
B. The Town Chairperson or one of the Highway and General Maintenance Operators (Town Crew) shall erect signs as required under §349.16(2). Wos/ Stats/. On or before the effective Spring weight limit date of any given year.
C. Except as provided in section D, no person may operate any vehicle on the above-noted Roads in violation of the above weight limits without a written permit issued by the Town Board of the Town of Clover or their Designee, the Town Chairperson. Upon conviction for a violation of this ordinance, the violator shall pay a forfeiture not to exceed $200, plus the applicable surcharges, assessments, and costs for each violation. Each trip in violation of this Ordinance constitutes a separate offense. In addition, the Town Board may seek injunctive relief from a court of record to enjoin further violations.
D. All of the following are exempt from the weight limitations imposed under section A:
- All vehicles exempted under §349.16(3); and
- Vehicles that are used to perform road maintenance and repair. The Town Board finds that the exemption from the weight limits imposed under section A for vehicles for road maintenance and repair is reasonable and necessary to promote the public health, safety, and welfare of the Town.
This Ordinance is effective on ______________.
The Town Clerk Shall Properly publish this Ordinance as required under §60.80, Wis. Stats.
Adopted this 13th day of September, 2017.
Beverly M. Steele, Chairperson Date
Sheryl Isaksson, Supervisor Date
Barb Rebak, Supervisor Date
Jack Smith, Supervisor Date
Patti Stemwedel, Supervisor Date
Attest: Tracy Gillespey, Clerk Date
Created: 07/11/17; Revised: 08/28/17 to include the Town Attorney’s concerns
TC: Ordinance #20170913-2 Establishing Seasonal Weight Limits
 Note: Sign placement is governed by the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices authorized under §84.02(4)(e), Wis. Stats. The manual may be accessed at the Department of Transportation Internet site at: http://www.dot.wisconsin.bov/business/engrserv/wmuted.htm
 Note: In lieu of exempting vehicles performing certain services from the weight limitations imposed under section A, the Town Board may set weight limitations for vehicles used to perform those services that are different than those imposed under section A if the limitation is reasonable and necessary to promote the public health, safety and welfare.